We are still working on printing the bicycle. At the moment we are halfway done and the results are looking very promising. We cant wait to assemble and ride it. Because we are past the official project timespan, it is getting time for an evaluation. First of all, we feel very privilaged to get the chance to work on this project. It has been a very learnful and inspiring proces.
Because the project only took 4 weeks, we had to make very quick design decicions. The multidiciplinary character of the team made it in the beginning hard to communicate our ideas and therefor make decisions. Later on, when we got further in the details of the design, we noticed the benefits of having different knowledge areas.
The project brief was very open. Therefor we choose to aim high and build a bicycle, even though we didn’t knew if this was possible from the MX3D side. As an point of improvement, it would be good to state clearer at what level there will be collaboration and what kind of limitations we have.
It would also be better to have more meetings to check the printability of the design. Unfortunately this was not possible because the guys at MX3D were busy with the opening of their location. But it could have smoothened the proces and reduce the time it took them to fix the file.
In the proces of designing and printing this bicycle we have learned a lot. We got to know how big startup companies work, how important scripting and encoding is in modern technologies, a lot about welding techniques, presenting ideas (to the press) and working in an multidiciplinary team.
We had lots of fun doing this project, now let’s make this bicycle happen!
For the creation of the CAD files for the printed frame we used a combination of Autodesk Fusion 360, Rhino and Grasshopper. The frame was modelled first in Fusion 360 and then imported into Rhino to map networks of splines onto the surface using grasshopper. The reason we used this work flow was that it gave us a lot of form freedom and control. Allowing us to create complex but parametric CAD models that we could adjust and tweak as the project continued without a huge amount of manual corrections if something changed.This example illustrates our approach, 2D splines are projected onto the input geometry (A 3D Sphere). This is a relatively simple approach but again allowed us to have much more control over the splines than other more complex methods we tried. The resulting curves lay precisely on the input surface and if 2 curves intersect, we can be sure that this intersection is directly on the surface. The connection pieces where also modelled in Rhino to troubleshoot any issues with tolerances and placement with the frame.
A Student of the Aerospace Engineering department here at TU Delft. He just got his motorbike license and enjoys building all kinds of things in his free time, for example he built a fixed gear in the past.
Ainoa Areso Rossi
Studies Civil Engineering at the TU Delft. She is spanish and italian but has lived her whole life in the netherlands. At civil she has learned theory about materials and structures and hopes to be able to put this into practice with this project.
Stef de Groot
He is an Industrial Design Engineering student at TU Delft and in his free time designs 3d printed models such as bicycles. He has an interest in applying new techniques to existing products.
A student at the Royal Institute of Technology in Melbourne at the faculty of Industrial Design. He is on an exchange and has lots of experience using CAD/CAM. He is interested in exploring the applications and boundaries of additive manufacturing.
Sjoerd van de Velde
He is a student at Mechanical Engineering at the TU Delft. He’s a real handy man, during the summer he works at an open air opera as a stage builder and owns an old-timer camper van. He also has a lot of experience with building prototypes and because of his background in mechanical engineering he has an affinity with metal and mechanical products.
Welcome to the 2015 Wire and Arc Additive Manufacturing Web Blog. Through this web blog we will keep you up to date on our project.
At the end of last week we had our first meeting with our project leader: Jouke Verlinden. He briefly explained about the possibilities this project has to offer. The scope of this project is to explore the possibilities or applications of the recent breakthroughs in Wire and Arc Additive Manufacturing and to try to build other type of objects or structures that can be manufactured using this technique. Also, Jouke showed us the RepRap which last years group built. We hope to get it up and running by the end of this week so we can do some tests with it.
After the meeting we brainstormed about what we wanted to build and everyone was very enthusiastic about a bicycle frame!
At the moment, the dragon bench is being manufactured at Laarman Labs (using WAAM). We hope to be able to visit the Laaramn Labs this week to get a look at how the machines are operated and to talk to the people working them. We want to learn how the machine works and about the limitations it has. This will help us to produce a first design for our bicycle frame.
The location of the WAAM robots we will be using is in Amsterdam, at the mx3D Lab at NDSM Werf fabriek. The place where we will be working in Amsterdam has no furniture, so this first week we have been developing CAD models to CNC mill our own wooden desk. We have done this using some initial designs from the opendesk website. We have managed to produce some smaller scale prototypes using the laser cutter. These were a great success!